Saturday, January 29, 2011

Day 40-46: A weekly report

Sunday to Saturday (today)

This has been a busy week, working on the EU report, conference report, and my FOTEME interview. There were many workshops: mental health professionals, high school kids, facilitators, environmentalists...  Thursday I finally got a chance to talk to the Israeli guy who was on the Israeli ship that sailed right after the Mavi Marmara incident. It was a very short conversation for he had to go back to the workshop but I found out that he was  actually the captain of the ship. We are going to talk about it soon, Thursday probably, when they have a facilitators workshop again.

Last Tuesday Timo, Julia and I visited Joseph Emanuel at the hospital. It was very nice, Joseph asked me lots of questions this time; about my education, what I want to do, and of course, gossips from the village. We stayed there for an hour and then left Joseph to rest. It was chilly in Jerusalem, but nice nevertheless. This could have been a very pretty city, not necessarily glamorous or pompous but plain beautiful, well cared for. Unlike it is now. Some neighborhoods, mostly where the bars and antique shops -and the touristic parts of the old city- are neat and well-kept. I don't understand why the city doesn't restore the old historical buildings of the town and allow so many ugly, structures recently built in the middle of the city or worst around the border that look so unpleasing to the eye and threating to eat the grace out of the city. Cleanliness is another thing. Mostly religious population and the city administration don't seem to care weather they throw their garbage on the street or into a trash can. This situation though makes me want to explore more of this city. And I will.

Didn't train efficient enough this past week except for yesterday when I finally had a chance to train in the sports hall. For more than 2 hours! I was quite surprised when I walked in later in the evening yesterday and saw the stall bars, climbing ropes and several gymnastic mats! What's also amazing is that the floor is not slippery nor too smooth to make it uncomfortable for capoeira training. It was a little scary  going there after dark though. The hall is on the way to the School for Peace, an area where nobody goes after 6 or so. The entrance is from a very narrow alley where there's little light and numerous opportunities to rob someone. I guess I was nervous because somebody tried to break into our offices at the School the other night. The door has a very thick and weird lock but I managed to unlock it (and lock it again after I was done, of course.) The rest is a satisfying training session. Friday we also had a lecture for the environmentalists participating in the workshop. It was given by an Israeli sociology professor from Jerusalem on environmentalist justice. The lecture was in Hebrew but some of the slides were in English and Nava translated some of the highlights of the lecture's first 30 mins. It was interesting enough for me to look further into the subject and incorporate the topic into my 1-hour meeting with Gidon Bromberg this coming Sunday. Considering today is Saturday, I have to be quick. Also, I decided to stay in Neve Shalom tonight and get a very early morning train to Tel Aviv (or a ride from Neve Shalom if I'm lucky). It makes no sense to spend money on a room for Saturday. Already booked my private room with shared bathroom facilities at Hayarkon 48 Hostel in central Tel Aviv this time, a minute walk to the beach!!! (http://www.hayarkon48.com/index.asp?id=1) Weeeeeeeeeee! Sunday will be busy, starting with Bromberg meeting, then a coffee with Pablo Utin, then perhaps meet some other friends and spend time at the beach, and THEN gaga class at Suzanne Dellal followed by a capoeira class in Old Jaffa! Sunday night I'll be sleeping like a baby, yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment