Friday, February 11, 2011

Day 57-58: Tel-Aviv with surprises, Friday with workshops

As always, I couldn't sleep well because, I don't know why, knowing I was going to wake up earlier than usual and that I really did not want to be late gives me an uneasy sleep. This has always been like that, just like my mom, if the next day requires specifically not being late to something and I'm not exhausted enough, I simply don't sleep.

So let's make it quick. Woke up mad early to meet Doran by the entrance to the village. Made it to Tel Aviv around 7:30, an hour early to my meeting with Gidon Bromberg. And I though, oh well, I like Tel-Aviv and morning walks so let's walk to the meeting point with a cup of coffee in my hand. I haven't had a decent, brewed coffee in Israel ever since I came here and clearly this was not going to be exceptional for that matter. It started drizzling but no big deal, I liked it. Then I thought I came to where we were supposed to meet and called Bromberg at 8:20 sharp. I still had 10 minutes. His voice was anxious, said they're already there waiting for me and that they're blocking traffic, a very uncomfortable situation, and that I was at a wrong place. They couldn't wait for me to take a cab and get to the right spot which was probably 5 minutes away from where I was. I couldn't believe those words came out of my mouth but I told them to leave without me. So they did. And not that they would have waited if I asked them to. I started walking back to the Dizengoff Center, thought I could at least have a decent breakfast somewhere. Dizengoff Center reminded me of some stuff that I needed to buy anyway so I went in, had coffee and eggs at a nice bookstore/cafe. Now that I remember, the coffee was not bad at all. I read my book and waited until the stores were open.

After shopping, I decided to walk around more but then it started raining like crazy! Having sneakers and no umbrella, I had to wait under a building for almost an hour but the rain was still intense so I said, "Screw it, I'm walking to Rothchild." So I did, found another cafe, changed my wet clothes and had lunch. In the mean time I called Doran and asked if I could catch a ride with him back to NSWAS. He said, of course. And so I did. This site visit should happen again and I intend to go this time. I should have taken a cab.

Friday was nothing special, lots of workshops, one for journalists, one for high school students. Moving on!

No comments:

Post a Comment